Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for...

Guy Fieri

You may know him from the following Food Network shows; Guy's Big Bite, Diners, Drive-In's and Dives, Tailgate Warriors, and NBC's Minute to Win It. This post isn't strictly about him, but it's his influence that led to it!!

We'll start with a quick info session, the Food Network is one of the only channels that we watch in my room here at DelVal.  We occasionally watch Fox, and when I say we I mean me, and when I say Fox I mean Bones.  Other times we flip the channel and end up watching Too Cute or Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet.  But usually, it's Food Network.


So, as a consequence of all this Food Network watching, my roommate and I were bound to find a restaurant relatively nearby and need to eat there.  And that is exactly what happened.  Almost two months ago we were watching an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (aka Triple D).  I only half heard the city and restaurant name at the start of Guy's visit (the only time they are mentioned, and my only pet peeve about the show), and bam!  It was in Philly!  I perked up instantly, paying attention to determine whether or not this would be an establishment worthy of visiting.  It was quickly determined that, yes, we needed to go here.

The diner was the Silk City Diner in Philadelphia, PA.  The fare was pretty typical diner food, but done in an unusual way.  Say a spicy meatloaf wrapped in bacon.  Or jalapeno corn bread.  The list goes on.  At that point my roommate and I decided we needed to go there.

After a fair amount of time, Spring Break, and an obnoxious amount of exams, we finally found our chance to visit the Silk City Diner... today!  Isn't that lucky?  It took us almost two hours to get there from here but get there we did.  We arrived at about 4:15 which was only bad because the kitchen closes between 4 and 5.  So that just meant we had more time to decide which meal we wanted.  I ended up with the bacon-wrapped meatloaf I mentioned before, and Kayla had the buttermilk fried chicken.  In the meantime we sat with our drinks, admiring the outdoor patio on which we sat.  It was a really neat place.  There was a lot of cool metalwork everywhere, from the octopus gate to the spinning wind-thingys, not to mention the actual tables and chairs. 

 Entrance
The Octopus Gate into the Beer Garden.  (An Octopus's Garden! Haha!)

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the diner.  The food was as delicious as Guy claimed, and the overall atmosphere and the actual building was just awesome.  I highly recommend this establishment.  There are a fair amount of other restaurants in that area that I would also like to visit, but they'll just have to wait.

To wrap it up, I would like to send a big thank you to Guy Fieri and Triple D for visiting Silk City Diner and telling the world about it's pure awesomeness.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like an interesting place! Love the metalwork. The meal sounded great too. But they close early! They don't stay open for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoJo, they are open for dinner! The kitchen closes from 4-5 but then they're open again 5-1am and the restaurant is open til 2am. It's actually a pretty big place on the inside, with a bar and a dance area and everything. The nightlife there looks pretty entertaining.

      Delete
  2. Coming by from A-z.
    Guy Fieri rocks! What a fun thing to do and great plug all around for their place.
    ~Naila Moon

    http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2012/04/h.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naila! Hope you're enjoying the other posts as well!

      Delete
  3. Silk City Diner is awesome-- I go there often when I am in Philly for work.

    Triple D came to my favorite Baltimore haunt- Joe's Squared. I got to meet Guy Fieri. Nice guy.

    Great post!
    www.mmshaunakelley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! And I would be super stoked if I actually got to meet Guy Fieri. Though I will be honest when I say I want to meet Alton Brown even more.

      Delete